Κυριακή 21 Αυγούστου 2016

LACUNA COIL - Delirium review




LACUNA COIL - Delirium
Century Media Records
Despite the poor reviews lurking, I happen to differ in my perception of this sort of "concept" album if you want to call it that. It's a 4-some now as opposed to what the band was in the past in their lineup. Nevertheless, the band managed to create some pretty unique sounds with that dropped guitar tuning and the fluctuation/trade offs between Cristina and Andrea. So what if the album is slow! Read the lyrics and put them to the music it works out well, a good sounding release though people are more used to keying in on “Broken Crown Halo”, “Dark Adrenaline”, etc. This IS the new lineup, some fantastic guest lead guitar-work. As usual, I enjoyed hearing Cristina but it is a good combo. I think you would still put this in the "alternative metal" category, there were no fast bits to any of this.

If you take the time to read the words they depict an old sanitarium in Northern Italy songs about the afflicted and ghosts, hence "Ghost in the Mist." I can see how critics can just bust this apart and say that they're fed up with LACUNA COIL because they're not necessarily inventing anything new or original. I'd have to disagree with that, I think they were aiming for a new sound on this, and the vocals work well with the music. I'd admit I like “Broken Crown Halo” a little bit more, but every time I listen to this, the lyrics come alive and the lyrics sang blissfully and hoarse the trade offs I wanted to hear a more heavy sound but they don't really go much in the acoustic guitar range. It's better to listen to this on headphones because you can really hear the riffs and piece together that with the vocals.

I couldn't believe such low scores from a better than average album. Cristina was pumping this album up on social media (Instagram is what I have, no more Facebook) and rightfully so. I thought they'd get a better response seeing so many record sales on the Billboard Chart when this was released in May of this year. Honestly, it took several listens to in order to take a liking to it but I'm definitely a fan of it. Not to simply jump on the bandwagon promoting the band, but after reading the words everything made sense. It was those dark tales and the music does fit with the lyrics/vocals. I know that yes it's slow and seems to be repetitive, but not if you keep an open mind to hearing a different approach to what you're used to from hearing this band. A change, but a positive change.

Well hearing this repeat after repeat I'd have to conclude that if you're not in the right mood to hear alternative metal, this isn't for you, or at least for now. You really have to be in an approach to where you're up for chill metal and aggressive vocals by Andrea. Cristina's voice is just fantastic as usual, it's a little toned down as they are getting older but I'm not justifying say "hey, it's okay of an album since they're getting older and mellowing out." I say "no, they're not mellowing out, I think they just wanted a different approach musically and conceptually." "Ghost in the Mist" is my favorite track, but I liked all of the songs. I'm sure they did make a lot in record sales but it still would be a good idea to purchase this album and give it a fair shake. I liked it, but it's one that has to grow on you.

Ryan  “Death8699”  Fanucchi

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: